How to make sure your password is secure
It is important that you ask yourself the question whether the passwords that you are using are secure enough?
Having doubts? Don’t panic. Read our advice below on how to secure your passwords!
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO SECURE A PASSWORD?When you create an account online, you should use a login, otherwise known as a username, as well as a password that you will have chosen. Out of habit or concern that you won’t remember it, we tend to use passwords that are either short or easy to remember… This technique is very risky.
An unsecured password can expose you to the theft of your personal and banking data. Hackers manage to pirate Internet passwords that have not been set respecting safety regulations for data protection every day.
A SAFE PASSWORD: USER GUIDE AND GENERAL INFODo you think that the password that you are using for your online banking or social network website is not very secure? Are you worried that a hacker could get hold of your personal and financial data? Don’t panic. There is still time to secure the passwords that you are using on the Internet.
Here are some common sense rules to follow:
- It is preferable to choose a long password: the shorter the password, the easier it is for the hacker to find it! Between 8 and 12 characters is the best! It isn’t however always possible to define a long password. For example certain banks ask for a 6-character password.
- When you set your password, alternate upper and lower case letters, figures and even special characters.
- Ideally, avoid choosing a password that refers to your date of birth, your children’s names or even the name of your favourite pet. It’s also important to avoid very basic passwords: 123456, ABCDE or even AZERTY (QWERTY).
- Use a unique password for each site that you have an account with: it is safer, especially if a hacker manages to break into one of your accounts!
- You should also change your password regularly. Don’t hesitate about doing this several times a year.
Find out the 5 mistakes to not make to avoid your password being hacked!
ERROR N°1: EASY PASSWORD TO HACKThe first mistake is certainly the most common! It is very tempting when we set a new password to make it short and easy. That way we tell ourselves we won’t forget it… It’s true, but it is also very dangerous!
Passwords that are too simple are easy to pirate. However there are still a lot of people that continue to use their date of birth or the child’s name as a password. Tell yourself that a hacker won’t have any difficulty in finding out this information and will use it against you!
The same applies to easy passwords such as 123456, 654321 or even password. These are the passwords that get hacked the most worldwide. Hackers know that Internet users use these unsecured passwords despite numerous warnings against them.
Choose a password that is long and random and alternate letters, numbers, upper case, lower case letters and special symbols.
ERROR N°2: A UNIQUE PASSWORDYou have made the effort to set a secure password for your online bank account. You have perhaps decided to use the same one for your emails or to connect to your favourite social network! Be careful: This is a bad idea!
Ideally, you should set a different password for each site! This way, if one of your passwords is hacked the rest of your accounts will stay protected.
Out of ideas? There are clever tools that exist that enable you to generate in a few clicks, random passwords that are very secure!
ERROR N°3: THE SAME PASSWORD FOR YEARSAre you still using the same password since 2007? If this is the case, it is time to change for a new one. To be secure, a password needs to be changed regularly, preferably several times a year.
ERROR N°4: A MEMO TO HELP REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORDTo help you remember your passwords do you keep them on a post-it or a piece of paper next to your computer? Bad idea. If your house is broken into, you risk your passwords being stolen.
If you’re worried that you won’t be able to remember your password, note that there are some very secure tools that exist that can store your passwords for you: It is the best way not to forget them!